Onward to Day Three!
No matter how rich you become, how famous or powerful, when you die, the size of your funeral still pretty much depends on the weather.
– Michael Pritchard
And we are insignificant when compared to the world as whole.
Today’s nominee are:
What is YOUR favourite quote? Do let me know the comment section below!
As a sequel to Day 1, here is my quote:
Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
– Carrie Fisher
You might have noticed that I’ve been lately blogging about negative emotions – jealousy, pressure to “go with the flow”, and others. I’m going through a tough phase in my life, but I’ve convinced myself that it will pass soon. Hopefully.
Now let me shut the crap and present today’s nominees to loud applause:
What is your favourite quote? Do let me know in the comment section below 🙂
A shout out to Clockery Fairfield at Quizzically Challenged for nominating me. This challenge requires me to do the following:
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- Post a quote for 3 days.
- Nominate 3 other blogs.
Since that seems easy enough, here is my first quote:
Jealousy is when you count someone else’s blessing instead of yours.
Isn’t this quote perfectly true?
And here are my nominees:
Have a nice day!
Only dead fish go with the flow.
– Andy Hunt
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.”
– Albert Einstein
…Or #9 Witty Wednesday.
Yeah, I’m a bit late. Was busy celebrating the Tamil New Year yesterday. Happy New Year to all Tamilians out there!
Yesterday’s prompt wanted us to list top ten quotes from books that inspire us, challenge us, or make us think differently. As my Witty Wednesday followers know, I LOVE QUOTES! So, I’m clubbing both of these! Here are my favourites, in no particular order:
10. “When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it’s not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.”
– Stephenie Meyer from Twilight
I am no Twilight fan, but this quote strikes a chord. There are many, many times I’ve woken up from a dream, crying because it’s over. Yes, I’m interpreting it literally, as Twilight rightfully deserves.
9. “The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”
– Oscar Wilde from The Picture of Dorian Grey
This book is fabulous, and so is this quote.
8. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”
J.K. Rowling from Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone
I honestly had a tough time selecting my favourite HP quote. Unable to decide, so I just put this one up.
7. “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
– Louisa May Alcott from Little Woman
And our ships shall sail through thick and thin.
6. “We pay a price for everything we get or take in this world; and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won, but exact their dues of work and self denial, anxiety and discouragement.”
– Lucy Maud Montgomery from Anne of the Island
5. “Deadlines just aren’t real to me until I’m staring one in the face.”
– Rick Riordan from Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief
I just hate deadlines. They seem to be far away at first, and in a blink of the eye, they will be staring at you. Well put, Uncle Rick.
4. “I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever.”
– Suzanne Collins from Catching Fire
This is SO sweet! I wish the same many, many times a day. Eternity with someone whom you love, doing something you love, in a place which you love? Hard to put down this offer.
3. “At times I suffer from the strangest sense of detachment from myself and the world about me; I seem to watch it all from the outside, from somewhere inconceivably remote, out of time, out of space, out of the stress and tragedy of it all.”
– Herbert George Wells from The War of The Worlds
This happens to me a lot. I catch myself thinking in the third person and find it an extremely rewarding experience. How else could I see the smallness of my problems in this enormous world? How else could I realise my worthlessness in the big, bad world?
2. “We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
– Veronica Roth from Divergent
I just love the truth of her words.
1. A voice within me is sobbing, “You see that’s what’s become of you. You’re surrounded by negative opinions, dismayed looks and mocking faces, people who dislike you, and all because you don’t listen to the advice of your own better half.” Believe me, I’d like to listen, but it doesn’t work, because if I’m quiet and serious, everyone thinks I’m putting on a new act and I have to save myself with a joke, and then I’m not even talking about my own family, who assume I must be sick, stuff me with aspirins and setatives, feel my neck and forehead to see if I have a temperature, ask about my bowel movements and berate me for being in a bad mood, until I just can’t keep it up anymore, because when everybody starts hovering over me, I get cross, then sad, an finally end up turning my heart inside out, the bad part on the outside and the good part on the inside, and keep trying to find a way to become what I’d like to be and what I could be if . . . if only there were no other people in the world.”
– Anne Frank from The Diary of a Young Girl
This ‘quote’ is huge and magnificent, straight from the heart. If only there were no other people in the world…
Do you agree with any of these quotes? What are your favourite quotes from books?